Donald Shaffer’s practice is heavily concentrated in oil and gas law, something he “fell into” as a young lawyer in the 1960s.
He also does work in estate, guardianship, and trust administration. Don grew up in Pittsburgh, and enjoys sports, gardening, reading and concerts. He is a cancer survivor, and regularly volunteers with the American Cancer Society and cancer support activities.
- Counsel to an et al in a successful ADR proceeding, Asamera Oil (Indonesia) Ltd. et al. v. Mobil Oil Indonesia, Inc., before the Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce, a significant victory over a colossus of the oil industry.
- Oil and Gas Law counsel to the Decedent's Estate and Testamentary Trusts of Michael L. Benedum (the "Great Wildcatter"), members of the Benedum family, The Benedum-Trees Oil Company and the Edith L. Trees Trust.
- Over 40 years as counsel to the Texas Guardianship Estate of Joe Benedum Trees
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Probate and Real Property Section
- Recognized as an AV® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell peer review
- Recipient of the PBA Fifty-Year Member Award by the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- 2002 Metz Lewis Brodman Must O'Keefe LLC
- 1959 Weller, Wicks, and Wallace, P.C.
- 1956 J.D., University of Michigan Assistant Editor, Michigan Law Review
- 1953 B.A., University of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court