James Angelo is a commercial litigator with significant trial, arbitration, and appellate experience, whose practice focuses on transactional litigation, energy/oil & gas, class action defense, and financial services litigation.
Jim has successfully represented clients as the “first chair” in six AAA, FINRA, and free form arbitration proceedings.
In the area of transactional litigation, Jim has represented clients in disputes arising out of corporate transactions, including post-closing purchase price and working capital adjustment disputes, claims for indemnification (including escrow and non-escrow claims), and earn out disputes.
Jim prides himself on pursuing and obtaining creative and cost-effective results for his clients and has assisted clients in avoiding lengthy and costly litigation by obtaining early-stage dismissal of multiple complaints.
- Obtained complete dismissal of a complaint brought by former shareholders of a pharmaceutical company in which the plaintiffs sought reformation of the terms of an earn out agreement related to sales derived from certain patents that were acquired as part of the deal. The Pennsylvania Superior Court affirmed the trial court’s dismissal on appeal.
- Represented a publicly traded company that had frozen a post-closing escrow account pending the resolution of potential tax liabilities pursuant to the terms of a merger agreement. The other party to the merger agreement filed a complaint alleging that the company had no right to freeze the escrow funds. The complaint was dismissed in its entirety.
- Represented an oil and gas producer in a dispute against a former landman who had misappropriated trade secrets related to the company’s oil and gas development activities in Southwestern Pennsylvania. The case was settled on favorable terms following the former landman’s unsuccessful attempt to dismiss the complaint.
- Represented an invention promotion company in a class action lawsuit brought by a disgruntled former customer alleging breach of contract, fraud, and violations of the American Inventors Protection Act. The case settled on favorable terms.
- Served as lead counsel for a national broker-dealer in a FINRA customer arbitration and obtained a directed verdict during the fifth day of arbitration.
- Served as co-lead counsel in three AAA arbitrations involving consumer claims.
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- 2017: Metz Lewis Brodman Must O’Keefe LLC
- 2010: K&L Gates LLP
- 2009: J.D., cum laude,The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law (Awards: CALI Excellence for the Future Award; The Gregory Travalio Clinic Award for Excellence and Service to the Community; Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, Managing Editor)
- 2006: B.S., summa cum laude, Xavier University
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit