Worth magazine recently named John Lewis one of the Top 100 Attorneys in the United States.
John has a diverse business practice, and his primary role is interfacing with clients, knowing their businesses, and keeping them out of legal jams. When he’s not handling the purchase or sale of a company, or counseling clients on corporate legal issues, John is battling uphill on a bicycle (he is a 100 Mile Century Event Rider).
He is on the Executive Committee for Metz Lewis, and is one of the firm’s original members. “The firm is a critical part of my life,” John says. “I want to see it do well, see it get better every day.”
- Represented management owned software services company in sale to NASDAQ company for $170 million cash and equity.
- Represented private equity group in $87 million recapitalization of portfolio of clothing products manufacturer.
- Represented management team in equity position and employment contracts involving diversified rail services company acquisition.
- Represented founder of rail construction company in $24 million sale process involving strategic and private equity buyers.
- Represented food product manufacturer in corporate restructuring to accomplish succession planning and estate tax savings objective.
- Represented automotive parts manufacturer in acquisition of manufacturing facility from a Chapter 11 bankruptcy seller involving union collective bargaining agreements, environmental and product liability issues.
- Represented online marketplace company in sale to NYSE company for $22 million involving cash, buyer stock, and contingent earn-out payments.
- Represented numerous clients in structuring legally permissible asset protection strategies, including use of foreign situs trusts and other entities.
- Represented a 50% shareholder in split-up of $60 million revenue construction and real estate business involving litigation between family members.
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Selected by Worth magazine as one of the Top 100 Attorneys in the United States
- Recognized as an AV® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell peer review
- First recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in 2005
- 1998 Metz Lewis Brodman Must O'Keefe LLC Member of the Executive Committee
- 1985 Dickie, McCamey&Chilcote, P.C. Corporate Group Chair, 1994-1998
- 1983 Arthur Andersen & Co., Tax Department
- 1983 J.D., West Virginia University Executive Editor, West Virginia University Law Review
- 1980 B.S., Wheeling Jesuit University
- West Virginia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania