Matthew D’Ascenzo is a Member of the firm’s Corporate Transactions and Securities Practice.
Matt draws from his extensive practical legal experience and knowledge to structure transactions that facilitate his clients’ business goals. He has assisted clients in numerous mergers, acquisitions and private securities offerings and has compiled significant experience in complex recapitalizations and reorganizations, domestic and international joint ventures, leveraged buyouts, general corporate matters, commercial transactions, and dissolutions. Mr. D’Ascenzo is the former senior international counsel of a manufacturing company, and many of his transactions have a significant international component.
- Represented U.S. subsidiary of foreign public company in significant acquisition of contract medical device manufacturing company from middle market private equity firm.
- Represented private equity firm in substantial leveraged buyout of gas turbine company, including membership interest purchase as well as senior, mezzanine and equity financing.
- Represented buyer in $20,000,000 cross-border leveraged buyout of apparel company, including asset purchase as well as senior, mezzanine and equity financing.
- Represented a prominent regional wealth management company in the $30,000,000 sale of its assets to a leading international network of wealth management firms.
- Represented private equity firm in the $10,000,000 leveraged buyout of a manufacturer of high quality fittings used in the firefighting industry, including equity purchase as well as senior, mezzanine and equity financing.
- Represented private equity investor in $15,000,000 asset purchase of electronic contract manufacturer.
- Represented environmental services firm in the $14,000,000 membership interest acquisition of a surveying company.
- Represented a manufacturer of sodium silicates in the $12,000,000 sale of its assets to a leading international producer of specialty inorganic performance chemicals and catalysts.
- Represented seller in the $43,000,000 sale of twenty percent (20%) interest in a newspaper joint venture.
- Represented seller in the $40,000,000 sale of partnership interest and coal-fired electric plant in transaction dissolving a joint venture between two utility companies.
- Represented management team in management leveraged buyout of producer of engine-maintenance technology for vehicles with diesel engines, including asset purchase and senior, mezzanine and equity financing
- Represented private equity firm in asset purchase of molded plastic wheel business.
- Represented U.S. subsidiary of foreign public company in the $10,000,000 stock purchase of a rail switch business.
- Represented buyer in acquisition of arena football team franchise.
- Represented seller of western New York distributorship of a prominent national brand of windows and doors in the sale of its assets to a competitor.
- Represented bank holding company in a $50,000,000 sale of preferred stock to a private equity company.
- Represented bank holding company in the $50,000,000 million private placement of common stock.
- Represented provider of online housing search tool in private placement of $3,000,000 of preferred securities.
- Represented clinical outsourcing company in approximately $1,500,000 private placement of common stock, approximately $2,300,000 private placement of preferred stock, and approximately $1,250,000 private placement of notes and warrants.
- Represented nuclear power company in the licensing of civilian nuclear power technology to a foreign state entity in connection with the sale of four nuclear power plants.
- Represented Fortune 500 distribution company in multiple cross-border internal restructurings, including the creation of various U.S. and Canadian subsidiaries and numerous issuances and transfers of equity securities and cash.
- Represented Fortune 500 manufacturer of industrial coatings in the creation of a joint venture with a publicly-listed foreign competitor for sales to manufacturers with production facilities in North America and Europe.
- Drafted, reviewed, and negotiated a vast array of commercial contracts, including distribution agreements, supply agreements, consignment agreements, sales representative agreements, intellectual property licenses, manufacturing agreements, personnel agreements, secondement agreements, administrative services agreements, nondisclosure agreements, and terms and conditions of sale and purchase.
- Assisted clients with numerous premerger notification filings under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act of 1976
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Recognized since 2013 as an AV© rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell peer review, which identifies a lawyer with very high to preeminent legal ability and very high general ethical standards
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Phi Beta Kappa member
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Business Law Section
- Former President, Southside Lofts Condominium Association
- 2013 Metz Lewis Brodman Must O'Keefe LLC
- 2006 Westinghouse Electric Company LLC
- 1999 K&L Gates LLP
- 1999 J.D., University of Chicago
- 1996 B.A., cum laude, Vassar College