Nicholas Holland is Practice Group Leader of the Tax, Trusts, and Estates Group at Metz Lewis.
His primary practice focus is individual tax planning, estate planning and estate administration for high net worth and ultra-high net worth individuals. Nick concentrates his practice on providing practical advice with the goal of implementing strategies to transfer family wealth in tax-efficient ways while also balancing each client’s unique set of circumstances and objectives in each plan.
Nick’s clients include executives of publicly-traded and privately-held companies, business owners, doctors, lawyers, and other successful professionals. Nick believes in a comprehensive planning approach and works closely with his clients and their trusted advisors to deliver a superior plan.
Nick also serves on the firm’s Operating Committee.
- Provide clients with comprehensive income tax planning services for high net worth and ultra-high net worth individuals, businesses, and families.
- Develop and implement estate planning and gifting strategies to maximize the use of lifetime estate and gift tax exemption and generation skipping tax exemption.
- Design and implement business succession strategies for closely-held business interests.
- Advise and implement pre-transaction estate planning strategies to maximize the leveraging of estate and gift tax exemption.
- Create comprehensive and tax efficient estate plans for clients with foreign assets and clients who are citizens of multiple countries.
- Represent clients in tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing authorities.
- Provide comprehensive estate and trust administration services for complex estates and trusts.
Speaking EngagementsNick has provided several continuing professional education courses and webinars on estate planning strategies sponsored through a variety of organizations:
- “Pre-Transaction Planning,” A Regional Accounting Firm, 2021
- “Election Season and What It Means for You and Your Business,” Webinar, September 2020
- “Estate Planning Myths and Tips,” Webinar, July 2020
- “Balancing Business and Personal Priorities,” The Community College of Allegheny County, North Campus, October 2018
- “Balancing Business and Personal Priorities,” The Community College of Allegheny County, Boyce Campus, October 2018
- “Accountants and Lawyers – an Integrated Approach to Pre-Sale Transaction Planning,” Greentree Crowne Plaza, December 2018
- “Making an Exit Plan,” Greentree Crowne Plaza, December 2017
- Mercyhurst University – former adjunct professor, estate planning
- The Pittsburgh Foundation's Young Professional Advisors Committee member
- Tax Law
- Business Succession Planning
- Estate Succession Planning
- Tax Planning
- Charitable Planning
- Estate and Trust Administration
- Corporate Transactions
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Wisconsin Bar Association
- 2015 Metz Lewis Brodman Must O'Keefe LLC
- 2012 MacDonald Illig Jones & Britton LLP
- 2012 J.D., University of Wisconsin Law School
- 2008 B.S.B.A., magna cum laude, Accounting, University of Pittsburgh