Steven Petrikis is in commercial litigation, having represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a variety of commercial and complex civil cases.
This civil cases include breach of contract claims, shareholder disputes, merger and acquisition disputes, restrictive covenants claims, civil rights issues, zoning and property disputes, bank-related and financial services claims, and breach of warranty claims. Additionally, Steve has substantial experience in commercial tax assessment litigation and pursuit of tax exempt status for non-profit corporations.
Steve is certified as a mediator, arbitrator and early neutral evaluator by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, and has been selected as a member of the Board of Neutrals of the American Arbitration Association.
His background as a high school English teacher comes into practice every day. “A good trial lawyer has to be a good storyteller,” he says. He often advises students to preface their legal education with an English degree.
Steve spends much of his free time with his two daughters, who are both competitive gymnasts (“I work, then chase after my kids,” he laughs). He also does considerable pro bono work for the parent organization of the gym where they train.
- Obtained multi-million dollar verdict for plaintiffs in action for breach of fiduciary duty and civil conspiracy.
- Obtained verdict for all claimed damages suffered by a utility regarding destruction of a power facility by a landslide.
- Obtained summary judgment for a software/management corporation in a breach of contract action involving computer-assisted executive training programs.
- Obtained favorable settlement for owner utilities in breach of warranty action involving isolation valve performance at a nuclear power facility.
- Obtained directed verdict in suit against major banking institution regarding fraud and breach of contract claims relating to a customer's account.
- Obtained summary judgment and recovery of attorney fees in unfair trade practice and fraud claim against banking institution.
- Obtained complete and favorable settlement for an investment company in action alleging breach of four contracts, tortious interference, breach of fiduciary duties, imposition of constructive trust and for an accounting regarding assets under management.
- Successfully opposed proposed municipal zoning amendment to authorize mining activities on property adjacent to client's equestrian center and rural residence.
- Obtained judicial decree for the laying out of a private road for permanent access to landowner's land-locked property.
- Obtained judicial determination of tax exempt status for a senior citizens housing corporation following trial.
- Obtained substantial reductions in property assessments for owners of office complexes, manufacturing and industrial facilities, shopping centers, garages and other commercial ventures in various Pennsylvania counties.
- Obtained a reversal of the Pennsylvania Department of General Services' decision to decertify a business client as a WBE/MBE.
- Obtained favorable settlement for co-trustee of trust in action brought by beneficiary alleging breach of fiduciary duty in trust administration.
- Commercial Litigation
- Financial Services Litigation
- Alternate Dispute Resolution
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Allegheny County Bar Association
- Mercer County Bar Association
- Board of Neutrals, American Arbitration Association
- Recognized as an AV® rated attorney by Martindale-Hubbell peer review
- 2000 Metz Lewis Brodman Must O'Keefe LLC
- 1981 Rose, Schmidt, Hasley&DiSalle
- 1976-1978 English Teacher
- 1981 J.D., magna cum laude, University of Pittsburgh Notes Editor, University of Pittsburgh Law Review University Scholar
- 1976 B.A., magna cum laude, English, Dickinson College
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania