Barry Friedman is an intellectual property lawyer specializing in the acquisition and protection of technology and business assets including patents, trademarks and copyrights.
He prepares licensing, development, distribution and transfer agreements as well as opinions with respect to infringement, right to use, and availability of intellectual property. His practice involves a significant amount of time in the litigation of intellectual property, computer and technology-related disputes. He also has significant experience as a neutral in alternative dispute resolution of intellectual property and technology-related matters.
His broad experience in a variety of technical disciplines includes computer hardware and software; mechanical, chemical and biological apparatus, methodologies and compositions; transportation systems; and metallurgy and fluid power applications. His computer-related experience further includes computer design, Internet-based applications, imaging, network and proprietary system design and implementation, software development and application, data manipulation, security and storage.
Building upon over thirty years of experience relating to the development and implementation of computer-based systems, Barry also consults with clients with respect to data security, both at the hardware and network level. This practice includes development and evaluation of policies and procedures for protection of data, devices and systems, together with disaster recovery and post-breach remediation. Additionally, he reviews clients’ contractual obligations and indemnities to ensure that financial and operational responsibility associated with data usage, storage and breach are properly apportioned between contracting parties.
- Completed an infringement analysis of 7 patents and 132 independent claims in the field of secure data storage and transmission for a consortium of financial and retail clients.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications in such diverse fields as electron microscopy specimen preparation equipment; secure data storage, transmission and distribution; wearable physiological monitoring devices; powder metal automotive components and railroad braking and signaling systems.
- Developed licensing program and documentation for sophisticated pharmacological assay system.
- Successfully concluded patent litigations relating to magnetic material deposition technologies, marine engine exhaust systems and power medical exam tables.
- Pioneered methods for compliance with electronic discovery for multinational Fortune 500 company prior to Federal Rule requirements.
- Served as Arbitrator in patent infringement dispute relating to silicon chip.
- Evaluated risk and remediation of possible data breach of multi-user online data storage and retrieval system; Modified client licensing agreements to better identify financial and operational obligations regarding breach of data security.
- Assisted in the acquisition of new subsidiary of Fortune 500 company, including patent portfolio and existing IT contracts.
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Listed in the 2011-2016 editions of The Best Lawyers in America® in the areas of Intellectual Property Litigation and Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law
- Panel of Neutrals, U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- American Arbitration Association Panel of Arbitrators and Mediators
- 1998: Metz Lewis Brodman Must O'Keefe LLC Chairman, Intellectual Property and Technology Group
- 1991: Dickie, McCamey & Chilcote, P.C.
- 1988: Buchanan Ingersoll, P.C.
- 1986: Buell Ziesenheim Beck &Alstadt
- 1987: J.D., University of Georgia
- 1984: B.A., University of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third and Federal Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- District of Columbia Court of Appeals