Businesses turn to Metz Lewis’s corporate and transactional lawyers for counsel at every stage of growth.
From formation and financing through acquisitions and divestitures and covering all the legal needs that arise along the way, Metz Lewis provides responsive, practical guidance to navigate the challenges confronting our clients.
Our corporate and transactional attorneys have broad experience in mergers & acquisitions, private equity, commercial agreements, private placements of securities, and corporate governance matters; and they collaborate with our tax, employment, intellectual property, estate planning, lending, and real estate attorneys to address the multifaceted transactions and business arrangements of our clients.
We have a long history of representing middle market and emerging companies in connection with complex corporate transactions, securities matters, private equity and venture capital matters. In every aspect of corporate life, we provide clients with the sophistication needed to smoothly navigate the waters of corporate transactions.
Mergers & Acquisitions
The core of our group’s practice is mergers and acquisitions, due diligence, business structuring and corporate finance. Our corporate lawyers work closely with our colleagues in other departments on tax, finance, commercial real estate, intellectual property, estate planning, and labor law issues as needed to best represent our clients.
Our experienced “deal teams” understand how to get transactions done without unnecessary red tape, and at the same time, have the experience to solve real critical issues.
From a transactional standpoint, we are deeply experienced in the merger and acquisition, corporate finance, and recapitalization aspects of private equity transactions, including add-on financing and investment banker-led exit transactions. We staff our private equity transactions exclusively with a team of experienced attorneys led by an experienced partner.
We provide clients with practical legal advice on a number of issues involving securities law, including: venture capital, private debt and equity placements, investment company and mutual fund management, complex financing transactions, and issues that come out of using business brokers.
We alert and advise clients on securities law compliance issues that are often overlooked, such as investment advisory and broker/dealer compliance issues. We prepare and review filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulatory agencies, and advise on both regulatory and public compliance and disclosure matters. We counsel clients on board and shareholder meetings, preparation of proxy materials, and other operational matters affected by securities laws.
Our corporate and transactional lawyers are supported by specialists in other business related practice areas, including real estate, labor and employment, intellectual property, tax, estate planning, benefits, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights, and commercial litigation.
We represent clients on corporate and transactional matters throughout the U.S. and internationally. Our clients include established privately held businesses, U.S. divisions of foreign corporations, private equity firms and their portfolio companies, start-up companies, senior and mezzanine lenders, and individual entrepreneurs and executives.
Our representation spans a wide range of industries including:
- Financial services
- Industrial products
- Consumer products
- Business services
- Food and beverage
- E-commerce and technology
- Medical products and devices
- Real estate
Representative M&A Transactions
Metz Lewis’ recent M&A engagements include the following transactions with enterprise values ranging from $5,000,000 to $100,000,000:
- Representation of a private equity firm in the purchase of the assets of a manufacturer of plastic wheels used in the material handling industry.
- Representation of an electronics contract manufacturing company in its acquisition of the stock of a subsidiary of a publicly traded company.
- Representation of a portfolio company of a private equity firm in a leveraged buyout of a manufacturer of high quality fittings used in the firefighting industry.
- Representation of a regional wealth management company in the sale of its assets to a leading international network of wealth management firms.
- Representation of a U.S. division of a Dutch company in the industrial products business in connection with multiple strategic acquisitions throughout the U.S.
- Representation of a buyer in the purchase of US HVAC duct manufacturing and distribution operations from its Swedish parent company.
- Representation of a seller in the sale of a chemical distribution business to a strategic acquirer.
- Representation of an apparel company in a cross-border leveraged buyout of a competitor, which was structured as an asset purchase.
- Representation of a national environmental engineering and management services firm in the acquisition of a large regional engineering and surveying company.
- Representation of an acquirer of the assets of a regional franchise of a national radiator and air conditioning service franchisor.
- Representation of a manufacturer of sodium silicates in the sale of its assets to a leading international producer of specialty inorganic performance chemicals and catalysts.
- Representation of a regional distributor of a national brand of windows and doors in the sale of its assets to a competitor.
- Representation of a titanium manufacturer in the purchase of the assets of a recycler of scrap titanium.
- Representation of a local commercial roofing business in the sale of its assets.
- Representation of an automotive service contract business and its shareholders in the sale of the company’s stock to a private equity firm.
- Representation of a significant specialty dental practice in its sale to a private equity firm as part of a roll up of practices into its Dental Service Organization.
- Representation of Dental Service Organization in connection with its roll-up of specialty dental practices.
- Representation of a chemical equipment company in its acquisition of a competitor.