Matt counsels business owners and family to develop succession, exit, and contingency strategies. Each plan is developed to reflect the family identity and secure a heritage, whether that be business, charitable works, or safety.
Matt works with clients and their advisory team to craft a plan that is well-thought out and clearly understood. The final product provides protection and flexibility.
Matt listens carefully to learn the dynamics and unique considerations forming the design of the plan. The planning may include trusts, limited liability companies, partnerships, life insurance, and similar risk mitigation tools.
As owners consider a capital raise, sale, purchase, or liquidation, Matt works in conjunction with the corporate group and outside advisors. The result is a coherent tax and wealth management strategy.
Matt is a skilled estate and trust administrator. His post-mortem tax planning knowledge optimizes outcomes for surviving family, especially in situations where prior planning did not accomplish the family’s current goals.
He lectures on the benefits of estate planning, estate administration, charitable legacy planning, and oil and gas planning to other professionals in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio.
Representative MattersESTATE PLANNING
- Host family meetings to discuss estate plans, business succession plans, and family relationships.
- Consult with clients to evaluate planning opportunities during liquidity events such as business sales, energy leasing, lawsuit settlements, or inheritances.
- Design estate plans providing tax management, wealth stewardship, and controlled transition of wealth to future generations.
- Development and implementation of lifetime gifting strategies, including irrevocable trusts, business trusts, charitable trusts, and spousal access trusts.
- Analysis of use of life insurance products within estate and business succession plans.
- Analysis of buy-sell and stock redemption agreements for family-owned businesses and key employees.
- Sales and gifts of business interests to trusts, family members, and private foundations to achieve legacy goals and tax management.
- Counsel business owners in exiting and transferring business interests.
- Guide clients in establishing and funding charitable legacies.
- Counsel clients on flexible charitable giving strategies to manage taxes and income needs.
- Advise charitable organizations on operation and compliance.
- Administer substantial and sophisticated estates, including those with operating businesses
- Representation before the IRS to resolve income, estate, and gift tax disputes.
- Guide beneficiaries on post-mortem tax planning techniques.
Professional Affiliations & Honors
- Recognized as a Pennsylvania Rising Star by Super Lawyers (multiple years, including 2018)
- Catholic Cemeteries Association, President 2018-2019
- The Pittsburgh Foundation, Professional Advisors Council 2014-2018
- Judge and Inspector of Elections, Franklin Park Borough, elected 2018-2022
- Civil Service Commissioner, Franklin Park Borough, 2018-2022
- Vacancy Board, Franklin Park Borough, 2018-2022
- Wheeling Jesuit University Planned Giving Committee, 2013-201
- Member, Mental Health and Recovery Board of Belmont, Harrison, and Monroe Counties, Ohio, 2007-2010
- Treasurer, Ohio County, West Virginia Bar Association, 2008-2009
- 2004 J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
- 2004 Certificate of Law and Public Policy, The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law
- 2001 B.S., cum laude, Biology, Wheeling Jesuit University
- West Virginia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia
- United States Tax Court